The Challenge

NetComm had an image problem, to most people in Australia they were still “the modem company”, this was exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the major projects NetComm was involved in didn’t bear their name as they were rebranded for nbn, AT&T, Bell and so on.

The other challenge they had was how to differentiate NetComm from the many engineering companies out there who will simply take someone else’s design and produce it for them, NetComm were, and wanted to be seen as, a true partner and problem solver, not just a supplier.

The Solution

NetComm has had a long relationship with nbn / Ericsson which ticked a lot of boxes in challenging people’s perceptions of the company. The nbn project is recognised worldwide, it utilises different technologies (Fixed Wireless & Distribution Point Units / Fibre over Copper) and covers a large geographic area.

Using this as a jumping off point I proposed the creation of two videos that would leverage this relationship. The first, The network that changed Australia  would showcase NetComm’s fixed wireless devices for Ericsson, used for the rural component of the nbn, which would show that the company has evolved past the consumer modem market and would also cover their bespoke engineering ability and capability to produce at large volumes.

The second video would focus more on NetComm as a partner and their methodology of Listen. Innovate. Solve, to really push this to the viewer I used the creation of the reverse powered Distribution Point Unit which is a key component of the nbn’s urban rollout and was a device that simply didn’t exist up to that point.

The network that changed Australia

With the subjects chosen the decision was made to tackle the Fixed Wireless video first as I involved all 3 companies and would need the largest round of approvals. Working with Gloria Vincent, NetComm’s Head of Communications, and the marketing departments of Ericsson & nbn, a script was created over a one-month period that satisfied the legal requirements and priorities of all involved. Next a rough storyboard was created by me to get approval on shots and with this in place each company put forward their preferred on screen representatives. With approvals and talent in place I locked in the shoot dates in Sydney with the interviews taking place over 2 days in 3 different locations.

Rather than try to get people to learn scripts I created an interview style format to help lead the talent in the correct direction while allowing them to use their own word and add any relevant details they knew which also helped to make them more comfortable in front of the camera and less staged.

As the storyboard was taking place we got a jump on B-roll footage knowing the types of shots we would need. I organised shoots in conjunction with Ericsson, working around their build schedule so i could visit a number of tower construction sites to get drone footage of the assembly.

When the shoot was completed, I edited to get a first draft completed using the pre-approved storyboards, this first draft received very few alterations from Ericsson & nbn and was very close to the final video with only some tightening and b-roll footage changes.

LISTEN. INNOVATE. SOLVE

For the Listen. Innovate. Solve video the process was a bit more streamlined as there was only NetComm and nbn involved. A lot of goodwill and trust had been built during the creation of the previous video resulting in a much quicker process. The script for this one came together quickly with a more basic outline created to ensure that the main points were hit. The purpose of this video was to give a real world example of an innovative product that had been created using NetComm’s methodology, so I split the video into the three components of Listen, Innovate. Solve.

For the on-screen talent I used the people who had been knee deep in the project rather than company chosen representatives, this allowed us to get more information out on the day by conducting interviews with each that supported the narrative I wanted to get across. From conception to completion this video came together in less than a month and again was met with a lot of praise, and very few changes.